Tomato may not be the most obvious salmon substitute, but it is certainly a delicious one! Marinating the tomato in even a bit of seaweed can give it a strong sea flavor, and adding liquid smoke or smoked paprika makes it a very convincing bagel-brunch substitute. Try this with your favorite vegan cream cheese!
- Bagel, toast, crackers – carbs of preference
- Kite Hill cream cheese, plain
- 1 tomato, cut into quarters
- 1-2 tsp liquid smoke (or sub smoked paprika)
- ½ tsp kelp flakes or powder
- 1 tsp dill
- ¾ – 1 cup warm water (enough to cover tomato)
Combine liquid smoke, kelp, dill, water and add tomato – marinate for at least ½ hour. Slice thin pieces off the marinated tomato, top toast with cream cheese, tomato pieces, and any extra spices as preferred.