To be honest, I don’t think I’d ever had a “real” corn dog – it’s something I only became interested in when exploring the options of foods to “veganize.” And it does convert beautifully. This recipe is definitely having fun with food, but its exceptionally tasty as well.
- 1 bag Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free cornbread mix
- Aquafaba from a can of chickpeas
- 1/3 cup olive oil, + high-heat oil for frying
- 5 cups hemp milk*
- 2 packages Yeah Dawg vegan hot dogs or Tofu Pups
- Sticks (I used candy apple sticks found in Whole Foods)
* Very recently I noticed a label on Hemp Milk that said “not gluten free” with a note about risk of cross-contamination of hemp. If you are celiac I’m sure you’re already double-checking labels – use any neutral non-dairy milk preferred’
Mix ingredients except hot dogs in a bowl until well combined. Skewer hot dogs, taking care to push the stick through the middle to avoid breaking the hot dog. Spread batter with a spoon (/hand) to coat entire hot dog to be about ½- ¾ inches around. Fry a couple at a time at medium heat (to mitigate outside finishing too quickly before the middle), taking care to turn with tongs when golden brown. Enjoy with ketchup and mustard.